If we look at the marketing techniques to target users, we can classify them into two basic techniques. First one is “Shotgun Approach” and the second one is “Rifle Approach”. Both are used by companies to get the attention of customers and make their business stand out from other competitors. While making a brand, it is very essential for an organization to effectively get attention and awareness of their customers & target them in a way that they(organization) get maximum benefits out of it.
What does Shotgun Approach means in marketing?
Shotgun approach, is a principle where advertiser aims to cover a large population of users as possible and hope that organization will get maximum amount of sales.The main focus in this approach is on the product rather than on the audience that we are targeting. The product features that we display in the advertisement will be generic and appealing to the generic audience.
Shotgun approach is a mass marketing approach it will target a large audience wherever possible. I would take two Examples each for online & offline. In online, advertisers used to buy the ads over youtube trending videos & high traffic websites and for offline marketing advertisers used to buy spaces on the crowded areas billboards.
Features of Shotgun Approach:
- There is more focus on reaching out to the maximum audience rather than ROI
- As Target Audience is broad, there is an improvement in the brand visibility on multi-channels.
- The product features and advertisements will be generic.
- Huge Marketing Budget is needed
Examples of Shotgun Approach:
- Coca Cola
- UBER Eats
What does Rifle Approach means in marketing?
In context of rifle approach, organizations will segment its audience in the specific groups and make efficient use of marketing resources in order to achieve a specific objective. It is also known as one to one approach. In this organization believe that there is a different wants and needs for each user, they need to be treated like individuals. So that is why according to rifle approach organization will cater to the needs of the customer at an individual level.
Features of Rifle Approach:
- The rifle approach generates more loyal customers.
- Sufficient data is needed of the targeted audience.
- Very helpful for the organizations which has very less resources.
- Organizations can make use of their resources appropriately.
- It involves direct marketing strategies.